Thursday, July 3, 2014

greatly exaggerated

Apparently the Mark Twain quote about his death, as commonly cited: "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated," is a misquote. According to Oxford Academic, the original statement was actually, "The report of my death was an exaggeration." 
Slightly less dramatic, but still rather clever.

I never thought I'd have to say something along those lines, but I do. In my case, it is thus:

 I sort of wish I could say that I bicycle commute year-round from Spruce Grove to downtown Edmonton, but despite my boundless enthusiasm for cycling, that is something I can never imagine myself doing. My hands and feet are nothing particularly beautiful, but they're the only ones I have and I don't want to risk losing them to frostbite.

I feel a little embarrassed about the misunderstanding, but I think the video about Edmonton bicyclists was a great idea, and I hope that others can be inspired to use their bikes to get around the city as a result of hearing and reading a little bit about the cycling community.

No comments: