Wednesday, June 4, 2014

a cold start to the day

This morning before I left the house, the weather page assured me it was 12 degrees, but when I hopped on my bike I had a hard time believing it. Clad in a cotton blouse, a cardigan and a medium-weight cotton jacket (about the same thing I wore yesterday for the same temperature) by the time I reached 149 Street, I was so cold that I had decided (a) to stop and put on my water- and windproof shell, and (b) to ride on the streets instead of through the River Valley, which is always a few degrees colder  than the high ground. 

But when I stopped at the pedestrian bridge that leads to Stony Plain Road so that I could do (a) before doing (b), I saw a female cyclist come up out of the valley wearing nothing but a short-sleeved polo-type shirt and capri pants. Well, that sight stirred up my competitive nature and a little voice told me, "If she can do it, you can do it..." adding with a snicker, "You have a lot more layers on, after all."

So down, down, down I went into the valley. It was cold, no doubt, and I was glad I'd added the fourth layer. I rode through the valley and up Fortway and 107 Street without ever feeling warm, except for that warm satisfied feeling I get inside every time I reach the top of the hill.

Yes, I was glad I'd risen to the challenge.

And in the afternoon, I was glad that once again (just like yesterday) I made it back to the car before the rain began. Tomorrow's forecast is for pretty much all day rain, so I'll have to be prepared, but Friday is supposed to be sunny and decently warm, so there is something to look forward to.

No comments: