Monday, May 12, 2014

a good year for roadkill

It has been quite windy lately. Since my nerve-wracking experiences riding in 60 and 100 km/hour winds, I'm a little nervous about riding out in the country when it gets too breezy. 

On Friday I just rode around town. I used my new-to-me bike, the Specialized Vita I bought to replace the one that was stolen. It is in great shape -- it looks a bit grubbier than my old one, but the shifting is good, the brakes work fine, and overall it is a nice ride. I am pleased. It was a good deal, too.

Today the wind was lighter, so I took off at about 10:30 and rode about 52 km, up to the top of the hill, east to the seniors' home, and west to the top of the second hill. Since the wind was from the northwest, the ride back to town was pretty fast. The last few times I've ridden, there has been a south wind and that means hard work on the way home. But today the last leg of my ride was just as it should be.

And I'm thinking of starting a new business -- so far this year on my relatively few country rides I have seen a fair bit of roadkill. I hear there is a market for this kind of thing down south. Last weekend I saw a dead fox on the shoulder. Today there was a dead coyote on the shoulder and a dead porcupine in the middle of the road. 

I also saw a fox run across the road in front of me. That's a much more pleasant sight.

I saw 4 or 5 other cyclists -- as usual, all men. I was a little surprised to see so many on a weekday morning. Traffic was light, and all in all, it was a splendid ride.

No comments: