Monday, May 26, 2014

a beautiful rainy day



After a rainy evening last night and rain all night long, this morning brought more of the same. The drizzly rain combined with a temperature of about 12 degrees C and light wind made cycling-to-work conditions just about ideal. I spied the famous groundhog (Woodchuck) dash across the path as I rode through the river valley. I raced up Fortway and 107 Street without breaking a sweat -- impossible to do when it's 25 degrees and sunny. Arrival at work found me only slightly damp and much invigorated.

Riding back after work I took time to enjoy the scents and sights along the 100 Avenue shared sidewalk -- the white mayday trees and the pink double-flowering plum are blooming, turning the path into a small strip of heaven. 


I did have a most unheavenly encounter with a shibu inu and its boy. The young man was walking along the left side of the path, earbuds firmly in place, oblivious to his surroundings. The dog was on the far right side of the path, sniffing at something in the shrubbery. The leash was stretched across the path, forming a barrier for the oncoming cyclist -- that would be me. I stopped in time. The boy suddenly realized that he was not the only person in the world and called his dog, who obediently started back across the path, tangling itself up in my front wheel. After some minor effort, we got things sorted out and went on our respective ways.

I was dressed just right riding both to and from work -- a cotton blouse, a light merino cardigan and my Sugoi shell jacket. I also wore my MEC tights on my legs.  I find that more and more often lately I choose the right clothing and have a comfortable ride as a result. 

Today Mr. Kim told us that when he has to return something to a store and doesn't have a good reason, he simply says, "My wife doesn't like it." He added that the customer service employees are always very sympathetic when he pulls that one. We all got a big kick out of that. And it reminded me of the "ex-wife got car"  sign worn by a desperate cyclist in an effort to make drivers like him. I plan to bring that article to class tomorrow to end up our Speaking unit on sports. It's a good thing drivers are already nice to me; I don't think "ex-husband got car" would have the same effect.

No comments: