Friday, May 23, 2014

25 degrees ~ 55 kilometers

Today being an absolutely gorgeous day, I donned cycling shorts and a sleeveless jersey, hopped on the road bike and headed north and uphill to Airport Road. There I turned right and headed to the Seniors' Home. I do want to check out the new roundabout at highway 44 and ride to St. Albert someday soon, but today the wind was from the west, which meant I would have a headwind the entire way home. No fun! So today I made my usual turn-around at the Seniors' Home.

From there I rode west, against the wind and uphill most of the way. There was a guy riding in front of me, not making much headway. I had seen him ride past earlier on the opposite side of the road, and he was kind of old and kind of fat, so I wasn't entirely surprised that he was so slow. I was surprised, however, when I passed him and saw that he was talking on his cellphone as he rode. Actually, I confess I had to wonder whether he was pretending to talk on his phone so that it wouldn't look so bad when he got overtaken. The wind was blowing pretty hard and I think it would have been difficult to hear and be heard on the phone. Maybe I'm wrong and just have a nasty suspicious mind.

Anyway, so I rode to the top of the big hill, turned around and rode back down to Muir Lake Road, where I turned right. When I reached the stop sign, I decided to take a detour to Roller Coaster Road, a first for this season. It was as much fun as ever, maybe more so, because today I saw a fox in the ditch as I headed north. I first noticed the white tip of its tail, and looking closer realized what it was. It eyed me intently for awhile and finally took off running, effectively foiling my attempts to take a photo.


After pedaling like mad to reach the top of the roller coaster, I turned around and made the most of the ride downhill, picking up speed and smiling all the way.

From there it was back into town. This afternoon I want to take my Vita back to the bike shop to ask Bike Shop Guy to change the embarrassingly noisy brake pads.

No comments: