Saturday, April 19, 2014

time heals all wounds

...maybe.

I am still recovering from the loss of my beloved Specialized Vita commuter bike, "Beatrice." On Thursday the 10th I parked near Southgate and rode to work on the 106 Street bike lane. It was my first time this season to ride Beatrice, and I was so pleased with the work done by my local bike shop, replacing the chain and cassette. She flew like a dream and I arrived at work in good time. I locked her to the fence with a U-lock and cable lock and went inside to work. One my students said the bike was still there at lunch time, but by 3:00, it was gone, along with both locks. Halyna's bike had also been locked to the fence, and it was still there. Apparently mine looked more appealing. The funny thing is that when I had it in the shop, I considered asking them to replace the hand grips, which are pink and were looking pretty grubby. But I decided that by leaving them as-is, the bike would be less desirable to thieves. Guess I was wrong.

I had the serial number on file and I submitted a police report online, but I don't have a lot of hope. It is really disappointing, especially because I have been trying to focus on positive stuff when I ride -- noticing the drivers who are considerate and polite, appreciating the sweeping job done by the city on 95th Avenue and 102nd Street. Little things that make me think people are not so bad after all. And then someone steals my bike and reminds me of the evil that lurks in the hearts of men. 

My mom used to tell us about The Shadow -- and clearly he was right all along! (now that I can hear it for myself, I realize Mom did a pretty good imitation!)
 
 

 

After work that day, I took the LRT to Southgate, walked to  my car and then drove to the airport to pick up Oldest Son and Youngest Son, who were returning from their spring break trip to South America. At least I had something good to look forward to after such a disappointing conclusion to my work day.

No comments: