Sunday, April 20, 2014

signs, signs, everywhere signs

One of the things I enjoy about riding my bike and walking so much is that I have time to notice things I wouldn't otherwise notice.


Like this sign on the side wall of a pawn shop. 
I love the "also anything of value." 
Presumably value-less items like Jewellry - Car - TV - VCR  & Quality Furniture are taken out of the goodness of the pawnbroker's heart.
 And this sign made me pause. A seniors' centre for those aged 45+?
Hmm. It is for real, according to their web site.
 As an English instructor, I always appreciate subject-verb agreement -- especially on signs paid for by taxpayers.
 And this sign that appeared in 2012, stating that the new building would be opening in Fall 2011, made me laugh out loud:

My most recent favourite is courtesy of the west division police station. Last spring their changeable sign read, 
"Spring is here. Please watch for all cyclists."
That made me chuckle. 
As opposed to only some cyclists? I wondered.

Well, obviously I was not the only one who thought last year's wording was substandard, because this year the sign admonishes:
"Spring is here. Please watch for cyclists of all kinds."

 I guess the wordsmith here subscribes to the belief that a change is as good as an improvement.

No comments: