Tuesday, March 11, 2014

speculations about my fellow trail users

I've been working hard on Assignment #8 of my Test Prep course. Once it's submitted, I'll have only five assignments left.

After working steadily most of the morning, I decided it was time for a bike ride. The temp so far today is +4 C, with a high of 8 in the forecast, and it's wonderfully sunny, so it was a great day for a ride. Of course, there's a pretty wicked southwest wind, but that's par for the course in these parts. 

I rode all around the trails again and took a side jaunt into some of the new neighbourhoods by the golf course. Almost everywhere the trails are in great shape, but there was one mammoth puddle/ice rink that presented a bit of a challenge. I ended up walking my bike across it -- and even then I almost slipped and fell.
  • The Regulars
There are certain regulars on the trails. I don't keep precise records, of course, but I could swear that there are some people I see every single time I go for a walk or a bike ride. 

Yesterday, I passed one couple twice, and the man made what he obviously considered a pretty clever remark, "You're going in circles!" Well, it's called a loop, and it's pretty normal when you're exercising, but oh well. I laughed obligingly and hoped I wouldn't pass them again. (I didn't.) Well, wouldn't you know it, even though today I left about 2 hours earlier than yesterday, I saw the very same couple again. And again, he had to make a smart remark: "You again!?" (I could have said the same thing about him, right?) In fact, he is one of those people I see virtually every time I am out on the trails. Sometimes he's alone, sometimes with his partner, but he hasn't failed me yet. They are a little older, so are probably retired, and I think it's great that they are keeping active like that instead of sitting in front of the TV. They look fit and happy and I bet they have a pretty good relationship, too.

Another person I see almost every time I'm out is a woman of perhaps my own age (it's always hard to tell.) She is usually alone. When there is no snow or ice on the ground she rides her bike at a very leisurely pace, and in the winter she walks -- again at a leisurely pace. I have to wonder whether she is independently wealthy, or took early retirement, or works from home on a very flexible schedule, or... because she seems to spend her days carefree on the trails, happily walking or riding, stopping occasionally to watch a bird or to talk with one of the four or five elderly men who also spend a great deal of their time in similar pursuits.

Well, enough of wondering. It's time to get back to work.

No comments: