Saturday, March 15, 2014

fun in puddles

Yesterday and today I rode Beatrice to do errands. There are a LOT of puddles out there!

After shopping at Safeway yesterday, I came home with a mud-spattered back and decided I needed a fender. Then I realized that I hadn't put the pack on the back rack; I had just attached my panniers. I thought maybe having the pack on there would prevent the spattering. Not so, I learned today.

I rode first to the library to return some stuff and when I got off the bike, I saw that the pack was covered in mud spatters. I couldn't see my back, but as Anne of Green Gables would say, I have an imagination, so I could picture how it looked. 

I had been planning to ride directly to Superstore after the library, but changed my mind and decided to ride to the bike shop instead. They've moved from their super convenient location just a couple of blocks from the trail to a place near Golden Spike/ Calahoo Road across the highway on a weird service road. I wasn't sure about the best way to get there, and of course I chose the wrong route. I went across the highway at Westgrove and discovered that there is no service road going from there to Golden Spike. Fortunately, the highway is in good shape for riding, so I rode east but then had to make a sketchy left turn to get to the shop. Next time I will definitely try a different approach. 

Anyway, so I ordered the same fender/rack combo that I have on my other bike, took a look around the new shop (nice, but dangerous -- I saw at least 4 bikes I sort of have to have) and then after making an even sketchier left turn, rode the back way, past the Food Bank, to Superstore.

As I was locking up at the bike rack, an older man (maybe 60+) rode up on his bike, so I moved aside to give him some space, and commented, "It's nice to see someone else riding." He smiled and said, "I ride all year round." I told him that I do, too, and we talked a bit about the fun of riding through the ice and snow. He said his Canadian friends ask him why he does it and he tells them it's because he's a Scot. (I'm not sure but I'm guessing Scots are supposed to be crazy or something?) I can't use that excuse, but since my dad was Dutch, I'm thinking an obsession with cycling is probably in my blood.

It's always fun to run into someone else who enjoys cycling as much as I do.

Later in the afternoon, Hubby and I took Maggie for a walk and saw a woman of about my age riding around the trails on a fat bike. She looked pretty intense, but not especially happy. I hope she doesn't regret her purchase.

It was a gorgeous day today -- +6C on the official weather site, but 11 on our thermometer. Lots of puddles, but I am not complaining, not even when half the puddle water ends up on my back. Spring is here!

No comments: