Thursday, March 13, 2014

Adieu, winter bike

We know spring is here when we can see water in place of snow on this pond
Today I decided to bid at least a temporary adieu to Miranda, my winter bike, and take Beatrice, my Specialized Vita, for a spin. Lighter weight and smooth tires do make a difference. There were still a few decent-sized ice patches, so I rode carefully when I encountered one, but other than that I zipped along at a speed I only dreamed about all winter.

Sadly, I saw that there is snow forecast for tomorrow, so I might end up on Miranda again before spring truly arrives, but it was fun while it lasted, anyway. The temp is supposed to get well above zero after the snowfall, so maybe it will just melt right away.

 We went into the city last night. Youngest and Oldest Sons went to the Winspear to hear Chris Hadfield speak. They only had two tickets; otherwise I would have gone, too. (I am not normally a "hero" person, but he is my hero.) The boys said it was really good. I was a little disappointed they didn't get an autograph for me, but they said the place was packed and there was a big queue waiting to talk to him afterwards.

We ate at The Burg for the first time, and spotted Alison Redford as we were leaving. I had never seen her in real life before. Both Hubby and I thought she looked better (younger and prettier) in real life than she does in front of a camera. When we got home, hubby looked online at CBC news and we understood a) why she had to cheap out and eat at a burger place, and b) why she looked so good -- there's nothing like a clear conscience!

Now I am on my way into the city again, for lunch with friends and a couple of hours babysitting Little Granddaughter later in the afternoon.

No comments: