Sunday, February 23, 2014

weekend riding

Friday shopping trip. I left the house and then realized I'd forgotten to put my tights on over my jeans. It was a bit nippy (minus 20 or so) so I cut my ride short. Instead of my anticipated trail ride, I simply took the long way to Superstore, for a total of about 1km. Lame, I know. It was also icy and I fell at one intersection. The ride to Superstore is not the best; the roads are not cleared very well and the shared pathway ends abruptly at a busy intersection. But I survived and stuffed my panniers with my 3-days' supply of fruit -- strawberries, grapefruit, apples and oranges. 

On Saturday I was planning to go for a bike ride, but Maggie the dog had other plans. She saw me getting ready to go and attached herself to me, begging to go for a walk. How could I refuse? I took her out for a fast 6 km on the trails. It was COLD and I had my hood up the whole time, meaning my hearing was affected; everything seemed to echo and I kept feeling as if someone was coming up behind me. I was all alone in the woods, and it was downright spooky. This was the first time I'd ever felt like that. I was quite happy when on my way back I saw a couple of other people out with their dogs. That restored a feeling of normalcy.

Today: A gorgeous sunny day; minus 32 wind chill. I rode to and from church. Heading southeast on my way there was just fine, but the ride home was northwest and I felt the cold. Still, it was a great ride. I can ride all the way on beautifully maintained multi-use trails, and since there is not really any ice right now, it was a pretty fast ride, about 9 km in total.

No comments: