Saturday, February 15, 2014

blue sky or grey sky?

I've been working like mad on my assignments for the ACE Test Prep course I'm taking from Mount Royal University. The course isn't difficult, but there is a lot of work -- 12 assignments, each requiring a fair bit of effort. 

Most recently, I've been working on the TOEFL Speaking Section. One of the tasks in this section is choosing between two options and defending your choice -- sort of like the old game. "Cats or dogs"?

Today while I was out for a 13 1/2 km bike ride, I was reminded of this task. 

-3 C or +3 C?
Like most people, normally I would choose +3. Seems like a no-brainer. But when cycling at this time of year, minus 3 is actually more pleasant than plus 3. It's still warm enough to make for a most enjoyable ride, but cold enough to prevent the huge puddles that result from above-zero temperatures. So today I was happy enough with -3.

Grey sky or Blue sky?
Well, duh! Blue sky, of course. And normally I would agree. But today I caught my breath when I came upon this view, a study in grey. Blue sky and sun would have given it a whole different dimension,  adding an almost gaudy touch to a somber and tranquil scene. Blue sky is good, but grey has its merits, too.


 

No comments: