Tuesday, January 7, 2014

sunshine on my shoulders...

makes me happy... 
Sunshine almost always makes me high.

I'm just old enough that I can remember that somewhat nauseating song being played ad nauseum on my transistor radio.

Although I can't say I loved the song then or love it now, the words do ring true. Ah, the feeling of sun on my bare (sunscreen-coated) shoulders, especially when it's 25C and I'm riding my bike out in the country. There's nothing quite like it.

But there's something about a winter ride that's almost as good. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I went for not one, but two, rides. In the morning I rode all around the trails, which were cleared of deep snow leaving just a thin layer, perfect for cross-country skiing (which I've done a few times recently) and cycling. It was -12, wind chill -17, so not exactly balmy, but most definitely invigorating. I rode about 18 km before my feet got too cold to ride any more.

That was the sign that it was time to go to Safeway for some groceries and to get warmed up. The trail system leads right to the Safeway crosswalk, so it was a great ride all the way.

(It was too cold to take many photos, but I managed 2 or 3 before desperately pulling my gloves back on.)




After I finished my shopping and loaded up my panniers, I started off for home. As I rode through the parking lot towards the other crosswalk, I noticed a man eyeing me as he walked towards Safeway. He gave me a big smile and thumbs up, saying, "Nicely done." I have no idea what he was talking about or how long he had been watching me, but it was kind of funny.

In the afternoon I went out again for about an hour, riding around on the trails. 

This time around I had a close call at one of the push-button crosswalks. I pushed the button and saw the oncoming cars stopping, so I got ready to cross. As I started, I noticed that the car closest to me wasn't actually stopping, but sliding right on through the crosswalk. He looked so appalled and apologetic that I had to simply smile and wave, acknowledging that in a case like that, it's the thought that counts. (I couldn't help thinking that if he were on a bike, he wouldn't have had that problem!) And I was just glad I wasn't quicker off the mark.
 
On the trails, I met up with a couple we see frequently. They have two white poodles and their female owner, with her frizzy blonde hair, looks a lot like the dogs. These people do not believe in obeying the "dogs on leash" bylaw. Their dogs are well behaved, so it is no big deal, but they seem to feel guilty about it, because every time we see them, they make some sort of excuse or apology -- always as if they have never seen us before. Today was no different. I know they probably didn't recognize me with my bike helmet, two scarves and sunglasses, but their excuse was about as lame as it could get: "They aren't used to bikes," the man said as I rode past. Right. They've been walking those trails regularly for years, so the dogs have encountered everything from skateboards to roller blades to bikes to homemade motorized contraptions.

A little later a jolly looking man walking his mutt stopped me to ask about my tires. I brushed the snow off the treads and showed him, telling him that  he can get them at our local bike shop. He then proceeded to tell me his sob story: he has a good bike that he uses in warm weather. Not wanting to ruin this bike, he bought a cheap bike to use during the winter. Two days after he bought it, it was stolen -- while parked in an underground parkade! I feel your pain, dude.

No comments: