Tuesday, January 7, 2014

new job and new socks

I had a meeting today at the library, so of course I rode my bike. I thought I was dressing warmly -- 2 merino wool sweaters (one very thin, the other thicker) and my wool pea coat, 2 scarves, long underwear, jeans and my MEC Adanac tights. And of course my wool gloves inside my trusty Olympic mittens. It was a little colder outside than I thought. Minus 16 with windchill of -24, but today it felt even colder. The wind was downright nasty on the way there. For the first time ever I could feel it blowing through my sleeves, through my leg layers and even through the thick leather of my boots. Ironically, the only thing that didn't feel cold was my face, the lower half of which was swathed in a fleece scarf. But once I got going I quickly warmed up and by the time I reached my destination, I was quite comfy. Too bad I only had to go 3 km! 

The meeting was about my new job -- on January 20 I'll start teaching a local ESL class that meets two evenings a week. I am not sure where this is going to lead, but I am looking forward to learning more about the local ELL community and to seeing whether there are any prospects for something more full-time. 

My new supervisor or client, I guess I should call her as I am working on  a contract, was quite intrigued with my winter cycling habit. She told me about a guy she knows who lives in Spruce Grove but works in Stony Plain and cycles to work almost every day all year round. At least some of my new classes will be held in Stony Plain, so this is something I will have to consider. After all, if that guy can do it, maybe I can too.

On my way home I stopped at Safeway again for some grapefruit and raspberries.

Almost the entire ride (with the exception of a few hundred metres right before the library and the parking lot at Safeway and the mall) was on the multi-use trails, which are so beautifully maintained. It is such a pleasure to ride under those conditions! 

I received my new Fox River "Pippi" merino wool-blend socks in today's mail so I wore those for my bike ride.
They are amazing: not too thick but super warm. And they fit just right. I have kind of short stubby feet and socks often seem too big, but these are perfect. Nice colour and cute name, too.

No comments: