Friday, January 24, 2014

avoiding the ice...

is it possible?

I rode to work every day this week, taking a few different routes in an effort to avoid ice. It didn't work very well. 

The shared pathway along 100 Avenue between 163 and 149 Streets is my first choice for the first part of my ride. It is ice all the way. There is also a downed tree half across the path to add to the excitement. I rode eastward on this path Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Slow and cautious were my watchwords.

On Thursday I went across to Stony Plain Road for my morning ride. Since the road is clear and fairly dry, it was a fast easy ride. I might do this all the time until the pathway is in better shape.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I avoided the shared pathway on my way back to the car and instead rode in the vehicle lane on the other side of the street. This is not ideal, as the single lane is not really wide enough for cars to pass a bike, and there is so much gravel and slush along the curb that a cyclist cannot safely move right. But I still deemed it preferable to the ice-covered pathway. 

On Thursday I decided to ride back to the car on 95 Avenue, which is supposed to have bike lanes. Alas, the once-beautiful lanes are buried in snow and dirt, meaning I had to ride smack-dab in the traffic lane, which in turn meant that cars had to steer around me. That would be OK, except that the centre lane is full of slush and dirt, making it quite unpleasant for drivers. It was an exercise in derring-do, and I felt bad for the drivers, but it was hardly my fault. I did try riding on the sidewalk at one point, but it was too icy for comfort. After 156 Street, I rode in the service road, which was full of large puddles. I arrived back to the car rather wet and mud-spattered. 

I sent an email to 311 about both the shared pathway and 95 Avenue, so we'll see if there are any improvements during the next week. Wouldn't you think that since we've had 3 or 4 weeks without any new snow, the city could do some serious clearing? Apparently not.

As always, however, no matter how bad the riding conditions are, I am happy to be a bicycle commuter!

No comments: