Saturday, December 14, 2013

three cheers for the snowplow!


I was determined to get out for a ride today. For one thing, the kickstand on my winter bike was loose and I wanted to have it tightened up. Also, I wanted to hit the mall for a few last-minute Christmas gifts.

So, I set off. The packed snow on our street and the next street along were pretty decent. I was cruising nicely and as I rounded a corner, I spotted a jackrabbit in his white winter coat. He ran along in front of me for a while and I was just contemplating getting my phone out to snap a pic when a big pick-up truck came along. Poor Old Bugs wasn't sure what to make of it. He sat down in the middle of the road -- in front of the truck -- and looked around trying to decide where to go. White everywhere probably makes it a little hard. He finally took off, the truck pulled into a driveway and I continued on my way. The next street I had to take was nothing but mush, so I walked the bike to the entrance to the multi-use trail system.

The trail was in great shape, and as I rode along, I watched a hawk fly across my path. Then I came to the place where two trails meet. Two little snowplows were stopped there and the drivers were standing around chatting. My destination required me to continue heading east. The trail to the north was nicely cleared, but going east was another story. "We're heading that way," one of the guys assured me, but of course that wasn't going to happen till they finished shooting the breeze. I guess I could have waited till they were ready to go and ridden behind the plow, but I didn't. I thought I might be able to ride on the trampled snow.
Photo taken after I dropped my camera!
I guess it was possible. But it was pretty slow going and I decided I could probably walk faster, so I walked to the next intersection. From there on, the trail was cleared and it was smooth sailing al the way to the bike shop. I did have to take the sidewalks a couple of times, but since there are not many pedestrians anyway, I didn't mind. 

Bike Shop Guy obligingly fixed my kickstand. He is such a nice guy. He's from the Philippines, so I was glad to hear his family and friends are all OK. He said the place where the typhoon hit is about 1000 km from his home.

The trails were cleared all the way for my return ride, so I was very pleased.
on the trail
Next stop, the mall, where I bought...
  •  a couple of books for Youngest Son, who is interested in chemistry and prepping, about equally. I am conservative enough to hope that one day his interest in the former will eclipse his interest in the latter, but when it comes to our offspring, we have to love 'em the way they are!

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Elements-Building-Blocks-Universe/dp/1780971257



  • a hoody and a sweet bracelet for Daughter-in-Law
 http://www.bootlegger.com/
  • some cool lip gloss for Oldest Son's girlfriend. Love the packaging!

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/new-ultra-plush-lip-gloss

(Good thing no one in my family reads my blog!)

And of course some Lindt chocolate bars for stocking stuffers. Good old Miranda can carry quite a load, even with just one pannier. If I have an extra-big load, I add another.
Miranda - bearing gifts
The homeward trail was cleared, so it was another happy ride back to the old domicile.
Now, I know that I could have put the bike in the back of the van and driven to the bike shop and then to the mall, but why would I want to do that and miss all the fun of a winter bike ride?

No comments: