Thursday, November 28, 2013

other cyclists

When I pass other cyclists on the trails or shared sidewalks, I always say a cheerful good morning or hello, depending on the time of day. Some respond in like manner; others are less friendly.

I try to be charitable to all, but some fellow cyclists are clearly not kindred spirits. Like the guy who blew through the 100 Avenue/148 Street stop sign, requiring two vehicles without stop signs to yield to him. 

And the two guys, riding together, who came up behind me one day as I waited at a red light, only to go racing through the intersection.

And the two guys I saw on Tuesday who rode on the sidewalk of 100 Avenue (against traffic) and across the intersection at 109 Street, weaving their way among the pedestrians. I, walking my bike, managed to go faster than both of them, meanwhile complying with the law.

This morning I found myself behind a guy who obviously knew what he was doing. I first spotted him, dressed in red, just before I embarked on the diciest section of my commute: the stretch of 102 Avenue just past 142 Street. I glimpsed him heading confidently into the back alley just as I entered the nasty, unpleasant, almost unnavigable ruts and ridges of the service road in front. I walked my bike for the first part, then with determination managed to ride through the next section and onto the sidewalk, which is not in great shape either. 

Mr. Red obviously doesn't share my need for speed, because by the time I reached the MEC intersection I was almost on his tail. I decided to follow him and see which route he took. He rode on 102 Avenue, which on Monday had been covered in deep snow, but today was bladed clear. At a red light, I said good morning and told him I was following him to see where he went. I mentioned that I usually use the 100 Avenue bike lane. Then I saw his face and thought I recognized him as a guy who posts videos on Twitter. Without thinking, I blurted out, "Are you the guy who makes the videos?" Sure enough. 

He showed me his camera and we had a nice little chat, riding single file as far as the Railtown Trail, where I headed south and he continued east. He was pretty tickled that I appreciated his videos and I was happy to meet another like-minded commuter.

No comments: