Saturday, November 16, 2013

back to work, back to commuting

Our second Fall Session started on Tuesday, November 12th. I had to drop in at our rental property that day, so I parked near Southgate and rode to and from work via the 106 Street bike lane, the High Level Bridge and the Railtown path. This is a nice easy route and I sort of wish I could use it every day. Drivers on 106 seem to have come to terms with the fact that the route is a cycling artery and they are generally courteous and tolerant. I also love seeing all the other cyclists -- today I saw at least 10 others. I was the only woman, though. As far as I am concerned, there are only two downsides to this route: crossing 82 Ave (Whyte Ave) and the amount of snow, ice and gravel that have already accumulated in the bike lanes. The road itself is in good shape, though, and because it is a designated bike route, I feel quite comfortable taking a lane if needed.

On Wednesday, I started on the 100 Avenue shared pathway and took 102 Avenue, Jasper, the 121 Street/100 Avenue bike lane, then 100 Avenue  to 109 Street. It was a pretty dicey ride, thanks to freezing rain. The 100 Avenue shared pathway was a sheet of ice. Early on I encountered a shaken-up young male pedestrian who, upon seeing me, warned: "Be careful. I just fell back there." Duly cautioned, I gingerly proceeded on my way, and sure enough -- I too slid to the ground. Because I was riding so slowly, it was a slide rather than a fall, and Miranda and I emerged unscathed, but after that I walked the bike all the way to 149 Street. I then rode on the streets through Crestwood, walked across the pedestrian bridge (another sheet of ice) and joined the vehicular traffic on Stony Plain Road. That was fine, but after 142 Street I decided to try the service road: big mistake! Yet another sheet of ice. I walked the bike until 137 Street, after which I rode in the vehicle lane. 

After one more short session of walking, on 125 Street, it was relatively smooth sailing all the way to 109 Street. 

It was raining/snowing the whole time, so I arrived at work with wet hair. My beautiful silk shirt was also a little sweat-soaked, not so much from effort, but from being tense for a good part of the commute. Still, I would rather be tense negotiating icy bike paths than sitting behind the wheel of a car. 

Incidentally, my speed for that ride was about 10 km/hour, and it took me 43 minutes to go 7.5 km! I saw only one other person on a bike that morning.
Miranda - after work on Wednesday

The next day I took a different route. Avoiding the shared pathway, which I suspect will remain in its hazardously icy state from now until April, I rode on Stony Plain Road. For quite a few blocks, there is a bike/bus/taxi lane, so that is nice. Stupidly, however, I tried that service road again; again it was sheer ice and I had to walk the bike. Another section to avoid for the rest of the winter. Everything else was OK, and my ride was much faster and more comfortable than on Tuesday.
our back deck - Nov 16

Now, as I sit contemplating the 20 25 30 cm of snow we have received since yesterday evening, I am wondering about next week. If the roads are still bad on Monday morning, I will take the bus into the city. 

If I drive, I plan to park in Crestwood and walk to work, checking out the conditions for cycling. I'll go to work on the city streets and return through the River Valley so I can check out both routes, and I figure I'll be prepared to resume riding on Tuesday. 

A merino balaclava is on my "Things to Buy" list.

No comments: