Monday, October 28, 2013

mercury falling

minus 12 ~ that's what the thermometer said this morning 
when I arrived at work.

I wasn't too terribly cold as I rode from my car along the shared sidewalk and into Crestwood, but on my descent into the River Valley, I felt the temp drop a few degrees. Fortunately, I was dressed in plenty of layers: my cami, a cashmere sweater, a merino wool cardigan, two Sugoi thermal cycling jackets, and my Sugoi Versa windproof jacket. I wore long underwear. On my ears I wore a fleece earband, on my feet I wore wool gloves and lined short boots, and on my hands I had angora/wool gloves inside a pair of fleece-lined mittens. I wasn't cozy, but I was warm enough, and that's how it should be on the bike. Best of all, I didn't get too hot, even after riding up the hill on Victoria Park Drive.

During rides like this, as the icy wind hits my face, I sometimes ask myself if I am crazy. But then I remember how much I dislike driving, and how good I feel after the ride is over. And of course, the ride home is almost always easier -- warmer and sunnier.

Today in my afternoon class, I taught the students how to write a diamond poem. They loved it.They worked together to compose three poems: Elephant (the Sri Lankan student's idea), River (Cambodian student) and Trees (Ukrainian student.) It was a wonderful way to use previously learned vocabulary, and the students were so pleased with their work that they all wanted to write more for homework. Something to look forward to tomorrow!

No comments: