Thursday, October 24, 2013

am I invisible?

Just yesterday I told Hubby that I was surprised that no one has ever expressed any interest or curiosity about my morning routine. 

It looks like this: Arrive at my parking spot near a community centre. Take my bike out of the back of the van. Braid my hair. Load up my panniers -- briefcase, jacket, sweater, sometimes shoes, other miscellaneous stuff. Put my purse in the rack pack. Put on my helmet and gloves. Lock the van. Ride off towards downtown.

I have been observed by many and various people: children and young people on their way to school, dog-walkers, police officers, City of Edmonton workers, to name a few.

Some I see more or less regularly. But no one has ever shown any interest.

Until today when I returned to the van after work. After I'd put my bike in the car, an older lady, whom I frequently see in the mornings as she walks her dog, came along.

"Finished work?" she asked. I said yes. "Do you work at the school?" I told her that I work downtown. 

"Do you take the bus?" 

"No, I ride my bike." 

Her face lit up. "That's nice." I agreed, adding that I ride through the River Valley. "Oh, I used to love to do that," she said, her eyes glowing. "The scenery is so beautiful." Again I agreed and told her about the sunrise the past couple of days. From her response, it was clear she understood my joy in being able to experience that every morning.

I asked about her dog ("Dolly") and gave the little curly-haired mutt the appropriate attention. The woman then told me about the boys a couple of houses up the street, who had a bird outside with them in the front yard. 

So after Dolly and her owner had gone on their way, I went to check out the bird. It was a lovebird, perched contentedly on the oldest boy's shoulder as he raked leaves. 

After I had given the bird its due, one of the little boys piped up: "Are you the biker?"

I prefer to be called a cyclist, but I let it pass and simply said yes.

"I see you every morning," he told me, clearly in awe. "Do you ride your bike to work?" I replied in the affirmative. After a brief chat, I bade them farewell, chuckling to myself. 

Who says no one notices me? I think I must be as visible as this tree:


No comments: