Wednesday, October 2, 2013

being dry is overrated

It's true. 
Last night the forecast read 
High: 3 C. Rain: 5 mm.
Even so, I knew I would rather ride my bike than drive downtown to work.
Why would I want to drive and miss out on seeing Old Man Coyote on my path as I descend into the River Valley? That's what I saw this morning. Of course, it was raining and cold; and there was no way I was going to stop for a photo shoot, 
but I have the picture to treasure in my mind as a reminder of why 
life is better on a bike.

Then there are the unexpected sights like this dazzling red tree and the contrasting yellow of a fall flower garden. In the car, I'd probably drive on past unseeing.

There are the other cyclists I encounter. We exchange nods and smiles as we pass, knowing that whatever our differences in age, bicycle style, clothing, destination, 
we have something in common.

Today I was even sort of excited about the rain, as it gave me a chance to try out my new MEC Adanac tights. I had a hard time forking over the $80 for these tights. I have two pairs of almost-waterproof pants that I've used for the last three years, and they are still in good condition. They fit over my regular pants, and most days, if the rain or snow is not too heavy, they are adequate. But they are a bit too big, and on the days when they are not adequate, I really feel it. So I finally decided to outfit myself properly. I bought a small, thinking that this way they'd be large enough to wear over my regular pants. They are large enough (even a bit loose) through the hips and thighs, but the calves are pretty narrow. Today I wore them over skinny pants and they were fine, but I'm not sure how they'd be over pants with a wider leg. But they did their job! I rode for almost half an hour in steady rain, and they kept me completely dry. 

On top, over my cashmere pullover and wool cardigan, I wore my two Sugoi jackets -- one thermal layer and one barrier layer. The Versa jacket (barrier layer) is one of my favourite pieces, as it has removable sleeves -- all one piece that attaches with magnets -- and if I find I'm getting too hot, I simply pull this part of the jacket away from my shoulders, roll it up and stuff it in the back pocket. The remaining vest still gives good visibility and wind protection, but I keep cool.

On my hands, my trusty Castelli Diluvio gloves. These were a great buy, as they are perfect for temperatures between +10 and -5 Celsius, which is what we have for a good part of the year. They are comfy and look cool, too.

No comments: