Friday, October 25, 2013

95 Avenue -- loving those new bike lanes

Yesterday I rode in the bike lane on 95 Ave. again. This time, after exiting the River Valley, I continued straight on 148 Street to 95 Ave. This meant I avoided the dicey intersection at 149 Street and 100 Avenue. I've never had any trouble there, but almost every day I hear annoyed honks or see uncertain motorists inching forward in trepidation... waves of tension emanate from car after car.

In the bike lanes, on the other hand, the mood is relaxed and I feel safe. I did feel a smidgen of irritation, however, when I saw a young guy riding his bike on the sidewalk on the south side of the street. He was riding west, the same direction as I was going, which meant that not only was he on the sidewalk, but riding counter-traffic. I felt like yelling across to him asking whether he's ever heard of bike lanes and why he thinks the funny white lines are on the road, but I shrugged it off. To each his own... 

No comments: