Thursday, September 5, 2013

better than drugs any day

This morning I rode Milly 60 km on the country roads, clipped in to my new clipless pedals. The weather was fantastic -- when I left the temperature was about 18, and it was 25 when I got back. Sunny and breezy and not too humid. The air up on the hills is amazingly clean and fresh and so invigorating; I'll take that over drugs any day.

The fields are definitely sporting their autumn look, but most of the trees are still green. It won't be long before yellow and orange predominate. Although I prefer summer and would be happy to live in a warmer climate, I'm not completely sorry to see fall -- and even winter -- approach. The fall weather is usually pretty good around here,and winter brings its own special beauty and challenges.

I am sort of looking forward to another season of winter bicycle commuting and to improving my  cross-country skiing ability.

Today as I rode up Roller Coaster Road I saw two deer standing in the middle of the road ahead of me. Thinking I could take a photo if I could get just a little closer, I rode slowly and cautiously, making as little noise as possible, but all in vain -- a car pulled out of a driveway and turned onto the road, scaring the deer into the deep dark woods. Some nerve! I admit that I entertained the thought that all acreage dwellers should be required to use bicycles only during pleasant weather, so as not to scare away the wildlife. I'm sure that would go over well.

I performed my service to the elderly by riding through the seniors' home parking lot.

Later in the morning, just after I had toiled against the wind up the Big Hill, I saw this hawk sitting in the treetop. His original pose, when I first spotted him, was much more striking, but of course by the time I'd stopped and gotten the camera ready, he'd decided to turn around and look the other direction.
I was pleased with my new pedals. Riding clipped-in gives so much more control, more ... power. I don't really like to use that word, as it sounds so cliche, but it's true. The pedals are heavier than the ones I had on before, but the extra energy available from being clipped in more than makes up for the extra weight.I was also pleased with the adjustments Bike Shop Guy made to the saddle -- I rode the whole time with only the very slightest bit of saddle-soreness. All in all, a great ride.

And, in other news, today I spied a record number of banana peels on the shoulders: I counted 8. That was on my way back home, after I'd started paying attention. There were probably some that I overlooked while I was admiring the harvested fields and watching hawks and blue jays.

No comments: