Friday, September 20, 2013

back in class... and back to commuting

It's beginning to look like fall -- Sept. 19

It's been a busy two weeks. The fall ESL session started September 9th, and it started with a bang. Fifteen students on the first day, and since then a few have been added and a couple subtracted, so that I am left with 17 students in the morning class. It's a big class, and there are two distinctly different and wide-spread groups: a more or less advanced group and a beginner/high-beginner group. The other teacher, Gail, has 10 or 11 absolute beginner/literacy students.

My afternoon high-intermediate/advanced class has 13 students, which again is a larger group than we normally have. 

After a long day of teaching and expending so much mental energy, I feel so lucky to be able to ride back to my car through the River Valley, drinking in the crisp clean fall air and the breath-taking views of the river and the trees with their gradually changing colours.

This ride is also a delightful start to my work day -- lately the grass has been sparkling with frost and the cold air definitely wakes a person up. 

The "testy 1 km climb" out of the River Valley along Fortway Drive and 107 Street is also something I look forward to every morning. Well, some mornings as I descend into the valley, I wonder if I am up to it, but once I start climbing I always love it. On Thursday there were three of us commuters on the first part of the hill. One guy had been riding on the sidewalk. When I saw him, he was heaving his bike, complete with loaded panniers, over the concrete barrier onto the road. The boardwalk had been completely dismantled and he couldn't continue on the sidewalk. I expressed sympathy as I passed him, but of course, to me, this is one more argument for NOT riding on sidewalks. I do admit that the road here is slightly intimidating, with its many potholes and cracks, uneven paving, and relatively heavy traffic (including buses) during morning rush hour. I am used to it and don't let it bother me, and I find the drivers very respectful and patient, but I understand why some people feel safer on the sidewalk.

During this past week, I achieved a couple of firsts.

On Monday, I forgot my helmet. How I managed that, I am not sure. I have three helmets: one for my long country rides -- that one stays at home. The second is normally kept in the car, as a spare in case I forget my helmet. And the third, I bring inside every evening with all my other gear. Well, somewhere along the way, I brought the spare helmet inside and left it there. When I left the house that morning, I forgot to take my regular helmet, so I arrived at my parking spot with no helmet. I am not completely convinced that helmets are absolutely necessary or even always helpful, but I do think that wearing a helmet is a good precaution and shows a seriousness that onlookers respect. So, I am not entirely comfortable riding without. Accordingly, because I was bare-headed, I decided that instead of riding up the Fortway Drive hill, I would exit the River Valley via the Victoria Park hill, which has a sidewalk that doubles as a bike lane. 

It was my first time on this hill and wouldn't you know it, I ended up right behind another commuter. This guy looked quite trim and fit; he was wearing a Ride to Conquer Cancer jersey and had a pretty decent-looking bike. In short, he looked Serious. I expected him to take off up the hill at a nice brisk pace, so I didn't even consider getting in front. At first. After a few turns of the cranks, I realized that he was not going to meet my expectations. He was s-l-o-w. It didn't take long to see that I would have to pass him just to ride at a comfortable casual pace. I hate passing serious-looking guys. I don't really like passing anyone, except 75-year-olds or family groups. I always feel like a show-off, and I'm always afraid that after I pass, the person will find me too slow and be annoyed that I'm blocking their way. If it's on a hill, as frequently happens, I'm afraid that maybe something will go wrong, I won't make it up the hill and I'll look like an idiot. Or that I'll keel over from exertion. Or... something. 

Anyway, so if I overtake, I feel like I have to really pack it on and go at a good clip all the way. So that's what I did. I arrived at the top slightly out of breath, but relieved to see that Serious Guy was still way behind me. This hill is long, but seems to lack the sharp incline of the Fortway Drive hill. Taking this hill also reduces the length of my commute by about 1.5 km. I enjoy the longer ride and the steeper hill, but it is nice to have an alternate route. Also, I think the city maintains this sidewalk during the winter, so maybe it will be useful in the coming months.

 
Yesterday, I enjoyed another first. I parked in Callingwood and took my usual route downtown, but after work, I exited the River Valley at 142 Street instead of 148 Street. This was my first time to tackle that climb. It didn't start particularly well. I had stopped to take photos, and when I started again I was in too high a gear, so was having difficulties. Another of those serious-looking guys, kitted out in cycling gear and riding an expensive bike (with no panniers), passed me, and kindly said, "This is a tough hill." At that point it's not a particularly tough hill, and I felt slightly embarrassed that I was performing so poorly, but I gave what I hoped was a gracious reply. A minute or two later, the hill did become tougher, so I downshifted and suddenly found myself right on the guy's tail. Uncomfortably close, in fact. I had to slow down and lose my momentum -- or pass him. Talk about embarrassing. As I passed, I warned him that this was my first time on the hill, so I wasn't sure how I'd do. "It's going to turn suddenly," he advised me, as I left him in the dust. Of course, I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to maintain my pace as the steepness increased and the trail twisted and turned, but it was no problem. I arrived at the top somewhat out of breath, but still well ahead of Mr. Serious. But obviously, he knew something I didn't, because I came out on the west side of 142 Street, while he came out across the street, on the east side, which is really where I wanted to be. Next time! 

Even riding on the wrong side of the street, this route constitutes an extremely pleasant ride, thanks to the service roads almost all the way along 142 Street, my favourite pink bridge and the signed on-street bike route through the lovely Rio Terrace and Wolf Willow neighbourhoods. It also means that I avoid the heavy traffic and sketchy street crossing near West Edmonton Mall. It is a little bit longer, but well worth the extra distance.

No comments: