Sunday, September 1, 2013

first ride of september

Today it took me a while to get motivated to go for a ride. I went out for a short ride early in the morning to check my newly repaired brakes, and they were fine, so I had no excuse for not going for a long ride. But I just didn't feel like it.

Finally, at 5:00 I decided that if I didn't go, I'd regret it forever, and I set off, heading north up the hills. It was a bit windy, sunny and 26 degrees -- a little hot but still great riding weather. I ended up riding 54 km. Not bad for feeling lazy!

Sometimes I turn around at the airport, but when I ride past the airport to the village, I like to turn around at the Seniors' Home, where there is a long circular driveway. I go pretty slow there, so it does reduce my average speed, but I feel like I might be performing a service for the people who call this place home. A lovely new facility, it should be a pleasant place to live, but in my opinion, it falls short. For one thing, the lodge sits just outside the village, but there are no walking (or motorized-wheelchair) trails leading into the village. If the residents want to go to the little grocery store or to the church, or just to get out for some fresh air, they have to take the busy highway. So, I figure that by riding through the driveway, past the windows of the residents' rooms, I am perhaps brightening their day, giving them a spot of colour, something to look at and speculate about. 

Once back on the road, I head uphill to the pond. If only the seniors could see this! 
Today it was full of waterfowl life.
I loved this line-up of ducks, with the last one desperately trying to catch up to the others.  I know the feeling!
And this mother duck and her young'uns were pretty cute, too.
After this comes the Really Big Hill (big for these parts, anyway.) It's a pretty decent climb and quite long and even rates as a climb on Map My Ride.

On my way back home, just past Muir Lake, I spotted these two rabbits, clearly tempted to enter the fenced-off area, but trying to decide whether or not to take the dog threat seriously.
As I was snapping their photo, I heard a tapping sound nearby and looked up to see three woodpeckers, hard at work on this pole.
And when I got ready to start off again, I couldn't help but notice that the rabbits were carrying on in a very rabbit-like fashion, doing their best to ensure that rabbits do not become an endangered species.

No comments: