Sunday, August 4, 2013

short and sweet

A short, quick ride today -- 38 km at a fairly quick pace. Just up to the top of the hill, down to the airport, back up to the main road and then south into town. A cool cloudy day, 89% humidity and some light rain.

The red-tailed hawks were out in numbers today. As I was riding to the airport, I watched one being attacked by an angry crow.

I think my handlebars need to be tightened, which is why I cut my ride short. My Nervous Nelly tendencies were kicking in, so I decided to play it safe. But when I rode down the big hill on the way back into town, everything seemed fine, so maybe it's just my imagination. Whatever -- I'll take it in to the shop on Tuesday and have Bike Shop Guy take a look. I've put on about 1300 km since I bought the bike in June, and I plan to ride from Jasper to Banff on the Icefields Parkway later this month, so I figure it's a good idea to have it checked out.

Our local Bike Shop Guy is the best! The original bike shop was bought out by a larger shop, but they kept Manny on. A great decision! On Friday, I took my commuter bike in to have him check the brakes and the headset. Again, I was feeling nervous about the hills I ride down on my daily commute. Sure enough, the headset needed some adjustments, and the brakes, too. $10.00 and they are as good as new.

No comments: