Saturday, August 24, 2013

a metric century?

Today I rode 110 km. I am pretty proud of that.

After breakfast I headed out on the Trek 1000 (hereafter known as Milly) and rode my tried and true route -- up North Hill road, to Roller Coaster Road, down to the seniors' home, up the big hill on Airport Road, and back south into town. This was the first time for Milly to brave the ups and downs and rough pavement of Roller Coaster Road. I wasn't sure how it would be on the skinnier tires and lighter frame, but it was fine. I was a little nervous on the downhills, so used the brakes a few times. Heading down the big hill as I rode east towards the airport, I also braked more than once, thanks to a mighty crosswind that threatened to sweep me into the ditch. I am never sure whether that is a real danger, but it certainly feels like it. 

My morning ride was just over 60 km. 
 The pond looked so pretty in the sun and was so noisy with duck doings, I had to stop for a few photos. 
When I got home Son #4 was here for lunch. After we'd eaten, I remembered that I wanted to go to Cannor Nurseries to use the $50 groupon I'd purchased. I suggested that he might want to ride with me, and to my surprise he agreed. So, we headed south, him on Hubby's Father's Day bike and me on my step-through. I was wearing a skirt and didn't feel like changing, and as I told my son, it was just a short ride -- maybe 12 or 13 km.
on the road to Cannor
It was a little longer than that -- more like 21 km. And I made it longer by forgetting to bring the Groupon. I realized this after we'd ridden about 4K, so I rode home to get it, and the sunscreen, and Son #4's sunglasses. Finally fully equipped, we set off for real. South and east on paved but not always smooth roads, we rode and rode. When we finally arrived, this looked like a bit of heaven:
Not only that, but they had free cold water and cookies, just the ticket after a long hot ride. Son #4 ate 8 cookies -- peanut butter, chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin. 

I found the plants I wanted and we waited for Hubby and Son #5 who had gone into Edmonton to do some work on our rental property. When they arrived, we loaded up the van with the plants -- and Son #4's bike. Yes, he abandoned me and left me to ride home alone, claiming I'd misled him by saying the ride was about 12-13 km. 'Twas true, but what's a few extra kilometers between mother and son?

I didn't really mind riding home alone. How could I complain when on roads like this one?  
 I varied the route this time by riding first west for a few km, then north, then west again for a few more km, and then north. This made the trip more interesting. When I saw these trees, I had to stop and snap a photo. I especially loved the white one on the right.
When I got home and checked Map My Ride, I saw that I had ridden 110 km in total today. Of course, since this was broken up into two rides -- morning and afternoon -- I am not sure whether it counts as a metric century. But it was a good day of riding no matter what.

No comments: