Tuesday, July 23, 2013

wildlife after the rain

THE RAIN HAS ENDED: still more than a few puddles on the road
Yesterday was another rainy day. In fact, my day started at about 5:00 a.m. when I was shaken awake by a huge clap of thunder. Sleep was over after that, as there was almost continuous thunder and lightening and heavy rain for the next hour. Six is my normal rising time anyway, so I got up just a bit before that and contemplated my alternatives: ride my bike in the rain OR drive in the rain. The bike won, hands down. Before I left the house I donned my nylon running pants, slipped a rain jacket over my T-shirt and hoped for the best. And the best was mine! By the time I started riding, the rain had stopped and the sun was just beginning to peek through the clouds.

 I had ridden no more than  a few meters when I spotted a rabbit hopping on the lawn along the sidewalk. A couple more spins of the wheels, and there was the quail? pheasant? grouse? -- a game bird of some sort -- that I have seen before in that area but that remains as yet unphotographed and unidentified.

I rode on the city streets instead of through the River Valley, but even so, it was immeasurably better than driving.
a typical obstacle on the trail

My coworkers and students thought I was a bit nuts for riding, but I assured them that even being splashed by puddle water is better than sitting in a car for twenty minutes.

And when it was time to go home, the air was warm, the sky was blue and the River Valley was as beautiful as it could be.

In the evening Hubby and I went for a walk with Maggie and I noticed that the Saskatoon berries are ripe. In morning ESL class, one student had mentioned trying these berries, and it turned out that most of the students had never heard of them. So after we got home I hopped on Bonnie Blue and rode back down the hill, returning with a container full of plump juicy purple berries, enough for each student to sample a few.


On my way back up the hill, I found myself behind a earphone-encumbered roller-blader who was happily weaving his way across the entire width of the trail. There was no room for me to pass. I rang my bell. No result. Rang it again. Still no response. Rode behind him for a while, ringing the bell almost constantly. A couple came by in the other direction and laughed sympathetically as they observed my dilemma. The roller-blader remained oblivious. Finally, I become tired of riding so slowly behind him and taking a deep breath, I yelled out: "Excuse me. Passing on your left." Finally he clued in, apologized profusely and moved to the right so I could pass. The bicycle bell bylaw is probably a good one, no doubt. but the next bylaw they pass might have to prohibit wearing earphones on public walkways.

No comments: