Friday, July 19, 2013

Tuesday...

In anticipation of picking up Little Granddaughter's laundry after work, I parked at my Callingwood spot and rode 13.5 km, mostly on multi-use pathways. Nice! I still feel a little uncertain on the many-branched path between my parking spot and West Edmonton Mall, but seeing a line of red shopping carts ahead is a good way to know I am focused on my target: the WEM Target store. 

As I ride along 165 Street, I pass some schools with names that have pleasant associations for me. There is Afton School, bringing to mind long-ago piano lessons. A little farther along is a school named after Thomas More; in my opinion, one of history's most interesting characters. There is also a sign that I find amusing: Parent Parking Patrol. No idea what it means, but it sounds like something that would feature on Sesame Street for the Letter P.

cartons of what??

And no matter how fast or slow I ride, I always seem to hit the red light at the Foody Mart intersection. In fact, I always arrive just as the light has turned red, meaning I have lots of time to contemplate this sign and to wonder just what "By the Carton" items Foody Mart deals in. Maybe one day I'll stop in and take a look. But I doubt it. It's on the wrong side of the street, for starters. But it is clearly an up-and-coming business.

Today as I entered the River Valley, a rabbit ran across my path. Seeing wildlife along the way makes my already-enjoyable ride even more delightful. As I began my climb up the Fortway Road hill, I saw another form of wildlife: a group of about 20 men, dressed in matching athletic wear, sitting on the grass and apparently listening to a pep talk of some kind. No idea what sport or what team. 

It was a gorgeous day and a great ride, but look what I wore! I wanted to wear my peachy-coloured skinny jeans. It was a cool morning, so I threw on my hot-pink thermal cycling jacket for the ride to work. A fashion statement I was not! I did look more pulled-together once I removed the pink jacket, revealing a cute and classic black pleated top.

A Study in Clashing

By the way, I love this Sugoi RS Zero jacket. I had to buy a larger size than I normally wear, as the shop didn't have the smaller sizes, but that turned out to be a good thing, as I can layer it over almost anything. I wore it all winter for both riding my bike and cross-country skiing. It is comfortable, cozy and highly visible -- everything an urban cyclist needs.

No comments: