Friday, July 19, 2013

the long way around

I took the long way to Superstore today. The store is only about a 3-minute ride from my place, but I took Bonnie Blue and rode on the trails, first to the library to return some books, and then down through a park, along the main northerly road to the very west end of town, back to the trails, up the hill, and finally to my destination, where I bought a few cans of tomatoes, some passata and some fruit. It was warm out (about 24 degrees) and I must confess that by the time I stopped riding and removed my helmet, I was a bit sweatier than I like to be when appearing in public. Oh well. I had the satisfaction of knowing that I was the only one (as evidenced by the lack of bikes at the bike rack) who had pedaled my way to the store instead of sitting behind the wheel; that I am clearly fitter than most of the people I see while shopping -- and that I am happy. After all, I didn't have to prowl the parking lot, looking for a place big enough for an SUV or F150 -- which I don't own anyway -- or even for the minivan that I actually do own.

My total distance was more than 15 km. I love it that I can use the bike to run errands and can include a little extra riding for exercise and pleasure while I'm at it. 

No comments: