Friday, July 5, 2013

in the big ring

I could tell when I set out this morning that it was going to be an "I fought the wind" kind of ride. But it was a northwest wind, so I didn't mind. Riding north and west are when I climb the biggest hills, and I don't really mind if the wind is against me when I am climbing. I'm working hard anyway to crest the hill; why not fight the wind as well? It's when I'm on the flats or riding downhill against the wind that I feel slightly ripped off.

Today I stayed in the big ring the whole ride. As I eyed this hill, which doesn't actually end where it seems to, but starts again after the high point visible in the photo, I wondered if I would be able to make it without switching into the middle ring. After all, the wind was against me. But I made it. I worked hard and didn't even have to gear down really low. There is a slight downhill before the climb begins, but because of the wind today, the downhill wasn't a lot of help.

It was another beautiful day, around 20 degrees and mostly sunny with just a few photo-worthy clouds.

After the big climb I rode down to Roller Coaster Road and climbed again. I counted the hills this time. There are only four, but the first one is a three-parter. The second hill has two small but steep bumps; the third is a single climb and the fourth hill is the killer. Riding downhill again after the turn-around point, it's obvious that it was a significant climb to the top. This is also where the pavement is of the fat-jiggling, bone-mass-building variety. Sadly as I was speeding downhill, building bone mass and jiggling the last vestiges of fat off my already rather skinny frame, the cadence magnets fell off my pedal. Next time I ride there I'll check to see if I can find them, but I don't feel optimistic about it.  

The lilacs on Lilac Lane are almost finished blooming. Now the roadside is lined with white and yellow flowers which I have not yet identified. They smell pretty good, though, so that's all right.

Distance: 51.76 km.

No comments: