Thursday, July 4, 2013

fallen trees and other sights

Back to work and bicycle commuting after a very stormy weekend, I wasn't completely surprised to see this on the 100 Avenue shared sidewalk:


There is just enough room to get through on a bike, but it definitely cramps one's style!
I don't think this next obstacle was the result of the storm. The photo was taken after someone tidied up a bit. The tree and shopping cart were part of the scenery on my commute every day this week.


I didn't take a photo of the dead cat I passed on my way to work this morning. Fortunately it was gone by the time I rode back to the car.

Other than this, it was a great -- though short -- week of riding my bike to and from work.

Today I forgot my helmet. My spare helmet, which I normally keep in the car, just in case, was out on loan. The result -- I rode to work bare-headed and noticed something interesting: my uncovered braided hair seemed to attract a lot of male attention. Much more than my helmet does. It was a strange feeling, since I normally consider myself quite inconspicuous when riding. 

As I was heading out of downtown, I sat at a red light beside two police cars. They were in the turning lane and I was in the going-straight lane. Oh no, I thought, half-expecting a comment along the lines of: "You really should wear a helmet." But no, the guys in the first car simply gave me a friendly smile. And the guy in the second car not only smiled, but said, "Have a nice day."

I had been planning to buy a new helmet anyway, as my old one is getting a bit grubby, so I stopped at MEC and bought a shiny white one. I also finally found some extra-small riding gloves, so I bought those, too.

I also stopped at the Russian market in Callingwood -- European Deli, or some such name -- where I bought some yummy peaches and nectarines and a few Jonagold apples. And, I cannot tell a lie, every time I go to this store I buy at least one bar of dark chocolate and often a fresh poppy seed roll. A word of warning: this is NOT the store to visit if you are trying to lose weight.

No comments: