Wednesday, July 10, 2013

close encounters with nature

One of the things I love about riding through the River Valley is the chance to encounter nature right in the middle of the city. Today this is who I met up with:
It was a desolate spot on the trail, just me and Old Man Coyote. I felt a bit nervous as he eyed me up -- like yon Cassius, he had sort of a lean and hungry look -- but once I'd passed him I couldn't resist stopping to take a pic. Then I high-tailed it out of there.

Yesterday a garter snake slithered across the trail in front of me, and a few days ago a pair of yellow warblers flew from one side of the trail to the other. And then there are the woodchucks I've seen a few times, down below the museum. We even saw a deer in the Wolf Willow Ravine when we rode to Fort Edmonton on Saturday; I have yet to see one on my way downtown. Maybe someday.
 Severe thunderstorms are in the offing once again tonight and tomorrow, and this cloud we saw approaching as we walked the dog doesn't exactly make me doubt the accuracy of that forecast.

Tomorrow's forecast is as follows:
Thursday, 11 July
Increasing cloudiness. A few showers with thunderstorms beginning near noon. Wind becoming northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 in the afternoon. High 20. UV index 3 or moderate.
Thursday night, 11 July
A few showers with thunderstorms ending in the evening then clearing. Wind northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming light in the evening. Low 10.
Sounds like a perfect day for cycling!  At least the UV index is only moderate.

No comments: