Friday, June 28, 2013

soaking up the sun

Today might have been my best ride yet. The weather was sunny and warm -- 20 degrees -- with just enough of a breeze to keep things cool, but not sufficient to significantly hamper my speed.

I rode 52.5 km in right around two hours. I decided to take a chance on the road straight north of town -- the one where the heavy-duty construction was underway last weekend. The construction is finished, and not only that, but they actually cleaned up the mess they'd made, removing the chunks of tar and bits of gravel and mounds of dirt. I don't know how they did it, but I was pleasantly surprised. This road has three decent-sized hills, which I really love riding up, so I was happy to do that again today. Next I rode to the airport and then up the big hill and onto Deer Trail. I rode west as far as Roller Coaster Road and took that north, climbing up and up, roller coaster style, until I reached the "Pavement Ends" sign. Turned around and rode back, mostly downhill this time. Then back to the main road and into town.

On my way north I saw a deer standing on the road. He (yes, it was a buck) was in the shadows and when I saw him my first thought was, "A deer." A second glance and I thought, "No, it's a fallen tree or something." A third look confirmed that it was indeed a deer. Unfortunately, just then a car came along, frightening him off into the bush. The car driver shared an appreciative smile with me, making me feel less antagonistic about his scaring the deer away.

No comments: