Saturday, June 1, 2013

Saturday a.m.

Another gorgeous day -- blue sky with picture-perfect clouds. 16 degrees. Some wind, but from the west, meaning easy riding in all other directions. 


I almost thought I wouldn't get to ride today. I started out and, as always, made a precautionary test of my clipping-out skills at the first stop sign. Twisted my right foot to the outside. Nothing happened. Tried again. Still nothing. Panicked. 
Realized I could use my left foot. 
Twisted my left foot and clipped out. Whew! Avoided a fall.

Although I was glad this worked OK for that stop, I was a little concerned. First, why wasn't the right pedal working as usual? And, if I couldn't use the right pedal, would I remember to use the left at every stop? Doubtful. 

I rode a little further, trying several times to clip out of the right pedal, but with no success. I turned around, rode back home and Googled "adjusting tension on clipless pedals." After reading some instructions and watching a short video, I searched for the right size Allen wrench. Following the instructions, I turned each screw three clicks to the left, then took a little spin down the block. I still had trouble clipping out, so I came back home and gave the screws a couple more turns. This time when I took a test ride, it was okay. 
So I pocketed the Allen wrench, just in case, and started out again. The right clip still seemed a little tight, but I was able to clip in and out without incident for the whole 53 km.


There is one property I pass quite often that always intrigues me. 
On the wrought-iron gate is a sign: 

No Trespassing. 
Phone xxx-xxx-xxxx for admission. 
Guard dog on duty.

Of course, if I were in an action movie, this would be the home of a drug baron or a gun-runner or someone with an equally irregular lifestyle, and I would be an undercover cop, pretending to be an avid cyclist, riding past to keep an eye on the situation.

Still, that sign makes me want to stage an accident -- à la Agatha Christie's Why Didn't They Ask Evans? -- so that I can find out just what that dog is guarding and just why the need for such tight security. Many of the other homes along that road have gates, too, but they are open, apparently with nothing to hide.

No comments: