Sunday, June 23, 2013

.01K short

Today's ride was almost 70 km -- 69.99 to be exact. I laughed when I saw this figure on my Map My Ride page. If only I'd known, I think I could possibly have managed that additional .01 km. Oh well, I don't mind rounding up occasionally.

I avoided the construction north of town today and, heading east to another range road instead, I had the fun of climbing an as-yet-untried hill. I love looking ahead to a hill I've never ridden up before and wondering whether it is easier or harder than it looks. This one was easier; in fact, riding up this hill, unlike my usual route, does not rate as a climb on the Map My Ride web site.


From here I rode on Deer Road and Lilac Lane to the N-S secondary highway, making a brief detour north to ride up and down the small, steep hills on Roller Coaster Road. Riding south and downhill, I clocked 42 km/hour on my bike computer. This road looks just as interesting to the south, but like (and unlike) Robert Frost, I decided to keep that road for another day, certain that I would one day be back

As I resumed riding west on Lilac Lane, I watched the butterflies enjoying the lilac hedgerow.


And a few wheel turns later, I spotted a deer venturing out onto the road just ahead of me. I slowed down, hoping for a chance at a photo, but just then a car came and scared it away.

On the N-S secondary highway I rode north to the E-W secondary highway, turning around at the seniors' lodge near the village. On my way west, as I climbed the first hill, I was passed (two days in a row!) by a really fast guy on a road bike. I don't know if it's possible to sleep while riding a bike, but if it is, that's what I had been doing. But when I saw Speedy Gonzales whiz past me, I woke up, decided that I was going too slow and picked up my pace, maintaining a fairly consistent distance behind him from then on, even up the big hill. It seems that sometimes I need a little motivation to get my legs moving.

To avoid riding through the construction area on my way home, I decided to head south on the N-S secondary highway. This was a first for me and I was pleasantly surprised at the wide shoulders and good pavement. It is mostly downhill, too. Just before the highway, I turned onto a service road heading east and then north onto another mystery road, past a small cemetery. It turned out to be the southernmost section of Roller Coaster Road. From there, it was east along another service road and back to town. 

Throughout my ride, I had some trouble clipping out of my right pedal. The left was fine, but the right is obviously too tight. I can see a difference between the two, so tomorrow I'll get the bike shop guy to make the adjustment -- no more trying to do it on my own! I can manage okay clipping out on the left, but it isn't as comfortable or as natural.

I saw a few cyclists on mountain bikes again today. One woman even had a basket on her handlebars. 

It was gorgeous weather -- around 18 degrees and mostly sunny. I saw numerous hawks, and the ponds once again were lively with various types of ducks. I feel so lucky to have such a beautiful and safe cycling route so close to home.

No comments: