Friday, May 3, 2013

The ride that wasn't

Wednesday I drove to work. Not by choice. 

Tuesday night I took my bike out of the car and brought it inside to make some adjustments. Hubby asked if I wanted him to put it back in the car.

"Oh, no, that's okay; I'll do it tomorrow," I assured him.

Wednesday morning I got dressed in my cycling clothes (outer layers over my work clothes.) I packed my panniers. I made sure I had my helmet and gloves. I got in the car and drove to my parking spot. I had to park near the crosswalk, so I took my time parking carefully so I wouldn't block it. I hopped out of the car and got that sinking feeling you get when you know something is wrong. There was no bike in the back of the van.

So, I reluctantly got back in the car and drove the rest of the way downtown. I would have walked, but I didn't have a warm enough jacket (it was -6 C) and I didn't have a suitable bag for carrying my books and stuff. 

So, I joined the masses in the stop and start traffic along 102 Street. Because of the bridge construction on Stony Plain Road, it is busier than ever along this route, and today was a chance to see once again how lucky I am that I can ride my bike at least part-way to work!  

No comments: