Sunday, May 19, 2013

saturated colour

It was a perfect day for riding again today. 
I feel like I have to take full advantage of every nice day. Summers here are often cool and rainy, so days like this (22 C and mostly sunny) are a real treat.
I rode just over 36 km: a quick ride north up the hills (Climb #1) and then east to the pond at the top of the second hill. This pond is one of my favourite spots along the route. 
It's usually bustling, with various types of ducks and Canada geese swimming around, taking off and landing, and otherwise enjoying themselves. 
It was quiet today, but such a beautiful saturated blue colour shining in the sun, in dramatic contrast to the green of the surrounding grass.

I turned around at the pond and headed west, up Climb #2, the largest climb on my route.
Saw these cows soaking up the sun. 
Of course, they weren't skimping on the fresh green grass either.

 

 The climb was tough today, as the wind was from the west. 
Before I left home I looked at the weather page online, as usual, and this time it said "Wind west 20 gusting to 40." I think maybe this time it was accurate. 
I kind of like having the wind against me when I climb, however -- I figure since I am already working to climb a hill, I might as well add wind to the equation. 
When the wind is against me going downhill, it seems like a bit of a rip-off.
The climb was worth the effort, and riding downhill back into town was just as it should be -- flying fast and free.

No comments: