Wednesday, May 22, 2013

City splendours


Every bicycle commuter should be able to ride at least part of her way on a path like this one. This is how I start my day. It smells as good as it looks. 

Lilac blossoms are beginning to open, the pink-flowered shrubs (? double-flowering plum ?) are in full flower, and there are also many of my favourite spring tree, laden with especially fragrant white flowers. I just found out that these trees are called Mayday trees. One of my Ukrainian students told me that in Ukraine they are called "Bird Cherry" trees, and apparently the fruit is a type of chokecherry.

It seems that Mayday trees are also useful for hiding shopping carts. (I guess for certain segments of the population, losing one's shopping cart might constitute a "mayday"!)
This morning, as I rode along this lovely, sweet-smelling path, I was thinking that I could almost forget I was in the city... until I came to this section of the trail!

No comments: