Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Welcome back, Winter!



Temperature -6. Wind chill -13. Snow covering the ground. Can it really be April 30?? Today's ride to work was like a winter ride, only more so. 

Not really -- there wasn't quite enough ice. But it certainly didn't feel like the day before the first of May!

 

I wasn't prepared for this, either. When I left home the sun was shining, the temperature on our inside/outside thermometer said 0 C, and things looked pretty good. But as I drover west toward Edmonton, the sky became darker, I noticed snow on the side of the road, and the wind was fierce. By the time I reached my parking spot and hopped on my bike, it was snowing lightly, and by the time I reached 149 Street, the ground beneath me was white.

It was, as always, a good feeling to ride. My hands were cold, but my heart was warm. I don't know if it;s just me, but it makes me happy to see bike tracks on the ground, showing that someone else has gone before me. Today, it looked like 3 or 4 bikes. 

The ride home was better -- the wind was not so strong, the sky was blue, and I rode through the River Valley, thus avoiding traffic and lights. The multi-use path was clear, so it looks like that will be my route of choice from now on. In spite of appearances, that marks the start of spring.

When I arrived at my car, this is what I saw -- a new world from this morning!


No comments: