Friday, April 5, 2013

Spring has sprung -- central Alberta style





This is what greeted us this morning! 

About 10 cm of snow. Gotta love spring in central Alberta! Fortunately, our city does a superb job of removing snow from the multi-use trails, and fortunately I can ride on the trails all the way from my house to the library. I cycled over to return some books and then rode around a bit, just for fun. It was beautiful, but a bit windy and cold. 
The temp was about -4 C, but with the wind chill it was -13 C.

 And here is Clyde, my trusty winter bike. Complete with MEC pannier (I have two, but needed only one today) and frame bag and heavy-duty knobby tires that can sail over the ice -- most of the time. 
We got this bike from the used bike section at United Cycle, for $99.00. 
Other than adding some accessories, we've done nothing to it, and it has served me faithfully for two winters.


 And, how do you know you've been spending too much time on your bike?
When you get home after a bike ride, put your bike away, grab a snow shovel and start shoveling snow -- and then twenty minutes later when you look up to say hello to a neighbour, you realize you're still wearing your bike helmet! 
Yes, I really did that today! 
I was just a tad embarrassed! Oh well, we can't all be perfect.

No comments: