Monday, April 29, 2013

If I can do this, I can do anything

That's what I said today as I commuted to and from work. 

The snow,rain and sleet were bad enough on the way TO work -- I arrived mud-spattered and damp, in spite of my rain jacket and pants, and the bottom part of my hair was dripping wet and full of dirt. Even after combing it out and rinsing it under the tap, it still felt kind of stiff. It was not one of my prettier days!

The ride home was another adventure. Driving snow and sleet assaulted my face. The temperature was +1, so not exactly balmy, and the wind had picked up to 50-70 km/hour. Trees were leaning threateningly over the road, and there were a few branches scattered here and there, to emphasize the danger. I was riding on my slick tires, and every time I braked I could hear a sort of squeaky sound that did not fill me with confidence. But I rode steadily and cautiously, and I made it without any mishaps. 
It was probably the hardest, most miserable ride I've had yet.

But I figure, if I can ride 15 kilometers in today's weather, 
I can do pretty much anything.

By the time I got onto the highway heading for home, I was in a different world. 
The sun was peeking through the clouds, the snow had stopped, and it looked like maybe there was hope after all.
Ah -- another spring day in Alberta!!

No comments: